Monday, September 28, 2009

Not just time gone by...



Funny how traumatic events tend to make you take in the more simple pleasures and relish them a lot more! It's a beautiful day! We had a near death experience the other day. Saturday, to be exact. It wasn't me that could have died. I won't go into much detail, as I really don't like to relive it, but our Daughter choked on her food and it was a VERY close call. While our Daughter doesn't seem to be shaken over it, Hubby and I sure are! This sort of thing will stay with you for a long time afterwards... It was very scary and what was no more than mere seconds passing by during this ordeal, seemed more like hours, gone by in slow motion. It was horrible and one of those moments in your life that you could look back on thirty years from now and see it just as clearly and vividly; feel all the emotions felt at that moment, just as it could have happened the day before. But the silver lining in this is two things. One: An old but wise lesson learned the hard way: Don't scarf your food! Take your time and chew completely, as well as taking smaller bites. Two: I sure do enjoy my time with my Daughter even more than I already did. I didn't think it was possible to enjoy her even more, but apparently, it is, especially when faced with the hard reality that I could lose her at any time. While I've always enjoyed a good snuggle with my Daughter, it's become something more. Snuggling and spending those minute moments with my Daughter, are not just time gone by, but an event. I hold her a little longer. I REALLY look into those baby blue eyes of hers and REALLY listen to what she has to say. Tho, I've never neglected my Daughter before, from now on, I take in ALL facets of our time together and cherish them. Out of a horrible moment in our lives, comes a blessing. Life sure tastes sweeter! Enjoy your loved ones, people. If I can pass along anything I have taken away from this experience, that I want to pass along to you, it's for you to REALLY spend time with your loved ones and to cherish them and those little moments that make up the big picture. Don't spend time with them just to pass time and say that you spent that time with them. Not as a desperate attempt to be with them in case they die soon. Just BE with them and genuinely enjoy that time together, not thinking of death and letting it cloud over and marr the real experience. Truly cherish them...

0 comments: